Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Trip to the Coliseum

On our first day we took a trip to see the Colisseum. To my surprise, when we got off the train we walked out of the tunnel and instantly we were met by the imposing Coliseum itself. I was amazed as to just how big it was, and that people who lived thousands of years ago could create such a marvelous, and efficient structure complete with tier seating, and a roof.

While at the Colisseum we also took a tour. It was very difficult to imagine that people came to the Colisseum to watch gladiators and animals fighting to their death as a form of entertainment. The only thing I could possibly compare this to in modern times would be the controversial sport of UFC. However, nothing can compare to 2 gladiators battling it out and in the end the entire audience knows that one of those men is going to be dead.

While in the Coliseum, and also in the ruins for that matter, it was very difficult for me to imagine if the U.S. falling just as the Roman Empire did. I can not imagine our country, the world superpower, being in ruins and people coming to look at it. Its just a very difficult thought to fathom.

In my short time in Rome, I have been trying to use the little Italian I do know as much as possible. The book "The Italians" talks about tourists who think they can speak the language better than they can. I think that I probably fall into this category. I would love to hear what I sound like from the perspective of an Italian. I'm sure many of my pronunciations are terrible and that my accent is very thick.

2 comments:

  1. Nick,

    Im not really sure what UFC is but I think its like mixed martials righting in a cage, right? I was also surprised to see the Colosseum right when we walked out of the underground. It was an amazing experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree. It blew me away that the Colosseum was RIGHT THERE as we walked out! i was also hard to imagine the entire things covered in white marble. It must have been spectacular!

    ReplyDelete