When I first arrived here in Rome, I felt as thought the Catholic Church was very much so, just a Roman thing. However, being here for the past 6 weeks has changed my thoughts on the topic. Being in Rome has been the best thing I have ever done for my faith. It is here that my thoughts have changed on this topic.
I thought that the church was more of a Roman thing just because the majority of Italians are Catholic and even though the Vatican is its own country, it still is basically located in Rome.
I also think that past events had much to do with making the church seem more Roman than Universal. The crucifixion of St. Peter, and the fact that his tomb (also the seat of the Catholic church) was located in Rome used to make the religion seem much more Roman, rather than Universal. Over the past month, especially more recently I have come to realize that the church is much more than that.
Each time I have been to the Vatican City, I have seen pilgrims coming from all over the world coming just to see St. Peter's Square. It is the holiest of places for any Catholic to go in Rome, and when we were able to attend the Pope's Wednesday Blessing, I was truly able to see just how important and universal the church is to people.
Pilgrims had come from Central America, Brazil, Poland, Germany, France, The USA, Italy, and probably many others in order to see the Pope. Many came in large groups, and sang or chanted for the Pope when they were introduced to them. When the time came for his blessing, he did so in about 7 different languages, that way everyone was able to understand him. This just shows how universal the church is and that it is much more than just a Roman thing.
The Papal Audience was most definitely the best example of how the Catholic Church is worldwide. The tourists, also, are excellent examples. It seems to me that St. Peter's Square, with the "open arms" reaching out toward the city of Rome encompasses everything it means to be in the Catholic community as a whole. Not just Roman, but worldwide, global.
ReplyDeleteExperiencing the Church in Rome, however, seems to have touched everyone in the group, whether they come from a Catholic background or not. I find it interesting how many people have commented on the growth of their spirituality, and I wonder if that feeling will stay when we return home.
The Papal Audience was amazing and it definitely showed how it is more than just a Roman thing. If you notice as well, tourist come here, catholic and non catholic, and they stop to see these magnificent sites and it has an impact on them! These holy areas such as St. Peter's Basilica are huge tourist attractions but they also have such a biblical background to them! I think everyone has been touched in one way or another by being here, me especially!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that your faith has stregthened on this trip. I agree that when we went to visit the pope,it really showed how the Catholic church was worldwide. People traveled from all over the world to see the bishop of Rome.
ReplyDelete