Thursday, November 11, 2010

Piazzas in Rome

After completing my fourth week here in Rome, I didn't think that it was possible for the trip to get any better. We had visited all the major sites you think of when you think of Rome. The Coliseum, The Vatican, The Roman Forum and too many others to name.

However, this past week I made several trips to Piazza Navona and I instantly fell in love. I had been to Piazzas before, such as the ones in Spagna and Popolo. I love both of those, but Navona was much different.

The square was surrounded by nothing but restaurants and shops. And people from all over were flocking to this square to socialize. There were vendors selling paintings, and art. Not to mention musicians all throughout the square showcasing their talents for everyone to see.

After visiting the three piazzas I mentioned, I really had a better grasp of what Italian culture was. During the day, these places were packed with people just getting lunch or doing some casual shopping. Come night, the amount of people seemed to be the same, however I could see some differences between their culture and ours.

I have noticed that time does not seem to be as important to Italians. People do not seem to be in as big of a rush. For example, I see people eat dinner who take their time and are not rushing to get the bill and leave. Instead, they sit with their friends, enjoying each others company and when they are ready they leave. And even though they have wine with every dinner, I have only seen one example as to where the person over consumed on alcohol. The final difference I have noticed, and perhaps the biggest, is the lack of cell phone use here. Granted I will see people using their phones on the train, but rarely do I see people constantly texting or talking on the phone like I do back in the U.S.

It has taken four weeks, but I believe I have found my favorite part of the city of Rome. The Piazzas are by far my favorite and I plan on going back, especially to Navona, on many other occasions.

3 comments:

  1. I think that it is interesting to see you point out that Italians do not use their cell phones as much as we do at home. Its something that I have too have noticed but just never really thought about. At home I am attached to my cell phone and being here I rarely use the phone only to call home. As for the piazzas, I agree that Piazza Navona is an amazing piazza. I like the overall atmosphere of this piazza and feel relaxed among the beautiful fountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found your favorite! I also thought that Piazza Navona was different than the others. It didn't seem to be as dangerous as Spanga. And I felt that Popolo was more of a "cross-roads". No one really stopped to sit and relax in Popolo. But I saw a lot of people relaxing and spending time with friends and family in Piazza Navona.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that the Italians here do not rush and take their time when it comes to things. It is getting some time to get used to that for me but I like it. The relaxing atmosphere is different from the US but a good different. I hope that I can learn to be as relaxed as the Italians in Rome when I am back in the US.

    ReplyDelete