Prior to coming to Rome I have to admit that I was skeptical of some of the traditions and teachings of the catholic church. However, after visiting many of the sites, my opinions have started to change.
My views particularly started to change the day that we visited the steps in Santa Scala. During the reign of Constantine, he brought the steps that Jesus himself walked on during his walk to his trial. Pilgrims come from all over to see these 28 marble steps. In respect, pilgrims do not walk, but rather go up the steps on their knees saying a hail of mary on each step. As I crawled up the steps I thought of how uncomfortable and long it took, but I then instantly thought of how it was no comparison to what Jesus once went through on the very steps I was kneeling on. I felt a very strong spiritual influence.
During my short stay here in Rome, I have seen just how much history and religion can contradict each other. For example, all my life I was taught how Adam and Eve were the first humans on Earth but science and records have shown that the first human signs of life were found in South Africa.
Even though it is backed by science, I still believe in the story of Adam and Eve because of my strong faith and I believe that seeing these important religious sites is only making my faith stronger.
So far this trip has been amazing and has strengthened my faith in God and the Catholic Church. I believe that this will continue, and I am extremely excited for our tour of the Vatican.
Great point that the pain we felt while ascending the stairs does not come close to the pain Jesus went through. This is key in understanding why so many people feel influenced by taking part in the Santa Scala experience. Christians today were not there to help shoulder the pain Jesus went through. Even if the stairs were not walked on by Jesus, the intentions of the Christians to sacrifice for God is still the same which makes these stairs so revered.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you went up the Santa Scala stairs! It sounds like it was an amazing experience for you. I think its great that so many people believe that Jesus went up the stairs even though there is no proof. It takes a lot of wisdom and courage to have such high beliefs and no proof. Being here has also helped me with my faith. Its amazing seeing the different Catholic monuments and churches along with the beautiful ruins!
ReplyDelete